Sleeping, sweating, coughing my lungs out and eating more medicine than actual food. That’s the picture of my last 5 days, and it sucks! I did manage to watch some YouTube films though and I wanted to share this next one. You probably saw it already, but if you didn’t, be ready for a surprise because nobody ever made a tutorial film like this before (just watch and see).
Funny isn’t it. Now of course I had to try to tie some flies like that, although I did make some changes. Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Ulf Hagström (to me, he’s one of the best fly tiers out there); I just didn’t have all the materials he uses.
First, he uses Nayat, which looks like very interesting stuff, but I don’t have any. So I used our own Synthetic Wave Fibre which should have the same perks for the job.
It won’t slide trough your bucktail and it will keep the rest of the material from wrapping around the hook. It has one disadvantage though; it can’t be used to make the heads the way he makes them. So I used Artic Fox instead for the heads (and Icelandic Sheep for the chartreuse one). They will be a bit heavier to cast, but I didn’t find any other solution.
And I used our own flash materials, but that won’t change much either.
They’re all about 26 to 28cm long. The first one I tried to tie as close to the original as I could, and the others are just some colour variations on the same pattern.
It took me 4 days to tie them, 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there, until I started to sweat and everything became fuzzy again (damn I hate being sick). So I can’t say that I’m really happy with them, but the pike won’t mind.
Thursday, Koen and Anthony are going on a fishing trip to Denmark for a couple of days, so hopefully that will result in a post full of nice looking pike…